Photobucket

Search My Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Review


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
★★★★

Every year the Hunger Games are held and it was time for them to begin again. There are twelve districts and each district has to have a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen entered into the games. The children are put into an arena and have a fight to the death. There can only be one survivor. The odds were high for Katniss and her friend Gale to get picked because it is done by a lottery system. Once you turn twelve your name went into it once each year and if you needed help with food for survival you could get some by entering your name more times. Katniss and Gale did this a lot. Even though the odds were high for them, Katniss’s younger sister Prim who only had her name entered once, got picked. Katniss Volunteered to save her sister and with that decision began the fight for her life.

I finally sat down and read this book now that the movie is coming out in March. I had heard great things about it and had it highly recommended to me many times. I was not disappointed. I absolutely loved the story. The adventure was always exciting and I was continually wondering what would happen next, which kept me turning the pages.
The characters seemed very real and I found myself cheering for them.  This book had heart also. It wasn’t just a cut-throat adventure, there was more to it. There was love, friendship and heart breaking moments. I was not only cheering for the main character Katniss. I wanted her to kick butt and win but I also couldn’t help loving some of the other characters (i.e. Rue).  I’ve been completely drawn into this world and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

It is definitely a bit of a dark book considering twenty four children are having a fight to the death. This is the first time I have read about this kind of thing. I think part of the reason I waited so long to read this book is because of the subject matter. It was a hard thing to wrap my head around.

6 comments:

  1. I love The Hunger Games. It's the book that started my love for dystopian novels! I love how strong Katniss is and how badass she is in the games. And I love Peeta, too! He's so sweet and awesome! It's terrible for kids to die in these games though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to read this book tomorrow, and I have waited to read it because I just didn't know if I could stomach it. I decided the time has come to try. If I don't like it, I can stop reading it and then I'll know not to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have held back at the idea of kids being thrown into an arena fighting for the right to have food.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the hesitation but I'm so glad you finally picked up the book because it's really brilliant isn't it? Perhaps one of my favourite books ever, this is more favourite of the series! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad but true, I have not read this one yet. It is on my must read list for 2012

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I have been hearing a lot about this book but I was too afraid to check wikipedia because of spoiler, but your review gives me a glimpes of it and it seems really interesting, since I'm also a foodie. I think I'm going to read this book. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all of your comments. I appreciate every one. I try to comment back to every one it just may take me a while. College student=busy! when you leave links I try to visit, depending on how crazy it is I may not have a chance to go comment on your blog. Please don't take offense! A lot of the time I mean to go back and forget because life is crazy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...